Creamy Sopa De Poblana
- 1 stick butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 2 1/4 cups roasted, peeled, seeded and pureed poblano peppers
- 1 quart heavy cream
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/4 cup diced yellow onion
- 8 diced poblano peppers
- 6 diced red peppers
- 6 ears roasted fresh corn, removed from ears
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 1/4 pounds jalapeño sausage, sliced and quartered
- Salt and pepper to taste
Recipe courtesy of Molina's Cantina
Directions for base:
- Melt butter in pan over medium heat.
- Add flour and stir.
- Add chicken stock slowly and whisk to ensure no lumps.
- Add pureed poblano peppers.
- Reduce heat to low and cook 15-20 minutes.
- Add heavy cream and cook an additional 10 minutes, cool, strain into pot, and set aside.
Directions for vegetables:
- Add olive oil to pan and heat over medium-high.
- Add yellow onion and stir 1 minute.
- Add poblanos, red peppers and corn.
- Cook until vegetables are soft.
- Add cilantro and lime juice.
- Add all to pot of poblano cream base.
- Heat until soup is hot throughout.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Pour soup into individual bowls. Garnish with jalapeño sausage.
Servings: Makes 8 two-cup servings.